FRONT STORE SUPERVISOR
Oversees the daily operations of the store, including product availability and pricing. Supports the Store Manager in leadership and organizational tasks that drive the efficiency of the store’s operation and promote a superb shopping experience for patrons Manage the staff and customers, train new employees and schedule rosters for shifts. Ensures the systems in place to control the activities in the store are operating effectively
- Manages all staff working in the front store to ensure delivery of exceptional service to shoppers.
- Keeps records of expenditure, sales figures, and employee performance and generates reports to support effective decision making.
- Evaluates the supply and availability of stocks, and profit-margins and provides timely reporting on same.
- Implements measures to avoid stock damages, theft, and wastage. Monitors store activities to ensure employee and customer safety and security.
- Monitors shelves, stocks and product displays, and the general appearance of the store to ensure cleanliness, safety is up to standard.
- Investigates market trends and offering products that would appeal to customers. Makes recommendations based on an analysis of customer demand.
- Addresses customers’ requests, comments, and complaints to ensure exceptional outcomes and customer satisfaction.
- Provides operational data as appropriate for assimilation and for development of the company Strategic Plan.
- Establishes with direct reports individual tasks and targets to be achieved within the designated time frames and/or cost/quality parameters.
- Appraises the extent of task achievement by and the performance and potential supervision of staff under immediate supervision.
- Prepares recommendations for job succession and career development programmes for timely and optimum staffing of the Department/Division.
- Motivates employees to meet and exceed targets and offer exceptional service to shoppers.
- Develops shift rosters and manages the allocation of duties to staff during slow and fast periods. Trains new staff members ensuring buy-in to the company’s core values, policies and procedures.
- Administers other established human resource, financial, legal and corporate management policies and procedures and monitors compliance by staff with these policies and procedures.
- Cooperates in ensuring that the workplace is safe for everyone and takes reasonable care to ensure that nothing is done to endanger self or others or cause avoidable damage to the environment.
- Demonstrates adherence to the Company’s health, safety, security and environmental policies and procedures by exhibiting the required behaviours.
- Executes any other related duties as assigned.
Internal: Leadership and Management Teams, Sub Committees of the Board, All Departments
External: Vendors and Suppliers
- A Bachelor’s degree in business administration, management, or equivalent qualification preferred.
- Demonstrable experience in a supervisory capacity at a retail store, or similar.
Knowledge of: Management Principles, Supermarket policies and procedures, Merchandizing Retail Management software, store merchandise and its location and prices, labour laws and retail health and safety standards, Stock Management
- Communication (oral & written)
- Problem Solving
- Business acumen
- Planning and organising
- Relationship management
- Service Excellence
- Expert User in Microsoft Office Suite
- Attention to detail, requires being careful and thorough about details, recognising the impact of decisions
- Results oriented, requires establishing and maintaining challenging achievement goals and exerting effort toward mastering tasks
- Ability to use applicable information technology and systems to meet work needs
- Ability to analyse and recommend improvements, collect and interpret information, apply criteria, and make recommendations.
- Utilizes excellent organizational, time-management, and problem resolution skills in a fast-paced, dynamic environment
- Ability to manoeuvre around the sales floor, stockroom and office and gain the respect of staff, suppliers, and other stakeholders
- Ability to engage and connect with patrons respectfully and in accordance with core service standards
- This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms; climb stairs; talk or hear.
- The employee must occasionally lift or move products and supplies, up to 50 pounds.