Collects payments by accepting cash, debit or credit card, cheque, or charge payments from customers and makes change for cash customers. Responsible for balancing cash drawer by counting cash at beginning and end of work shift.
- Registers sales on a cash register by scanning items, itemizing and totalling customers’ purchases.
- Resolves customer issues and answers questions about products and services provided by the store and restaurant.
- Processes merchandize returns and exchange transactions courteously and accurately.
- Itemizes and totals purchases by recording prices, departments, taxable and non-taxable items; and operating a cash register.
- Calls for back-up as needed so that customers wait as little as possible to be checked out.
- Receives payment in full for purchases, carefully giving change and receipts.
- Enters price changes by referring to price sheets and special sale bulletins.
- Become familiar with co-op policies and products to answer customer questions. Refer unresolved questions or problems to appropriate staff.
- Balance cash drawers at end of shift.
- Follows security procedures. Helps prevent shoplifting by trying to greet each person as s/he enters and by observing customer traffic.
- Follows security procedures for handling cash. Takes initiative to stock, face, clean and organize when there are no customers to be checked out.
- Maintains front end and entry area in clean, orderly condition; organize carts and baskets.
- Maintains shopper and register supplies at check stands and help fill holes in cashier schedule due to illness or emergency.
- Executes other related duties as assigned.
Internal: Managers, Supervisors across all departments, other Cashiers, Finance Officer
External: Suppliers, Contractors
- Three (3) CXC General Level Passes
- A minimum of (2) Two years’ experience in a similar role.
- Experience in the Supermarket o Restaurant Industry.
Knowledge of: Cash Transactions, Debit and Credit, Basic Accounting, Computation methods, Cash Register Operations, Supermarket products and services. Scanning tools and other tools used in a supermarket and restaurant for collecting payment from patrons.
- Communication (oral & written)
- Time management
- Problem-solving skills
- Service Excellence
- Technical & Professional Skills (Basic Accounting, Computational Skills, Cash Register Operations)
- Demonstrates check-our speed that moves the customers through timely and efficiently
- Ability to use applicable information technology and systems to meet work needs
- Ability to engage and connect with patrons respectfully and in accordance with core service standards
- Ability to read, count and write to learn about product and policy, and accurately complete all documentation
- Ability to do arithmetical computations to assist customers and cashiers, including addition, subtraction, division, fractions, decimals and percentages.
- Ability to work varied hours and days, including evening and weekend shift, reliability in working scheduled shift and being punctual.
- This job operates in a Supermarket/Restaurant environment. This role routinely uses standard supermarket and restaurant tools and relevant equipment relevant to the position.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms; climb stairs; talk or hear.
- The employee must occasionally lift or move products and supplies, up to 50 pounds.