Oversees the operations for the kitchen area of a restaurant. Ensures the kitchen runs smoothly and complies with safety regulations. Responsible for ordering food, preparing menus, and monitoring staff. Ensures that goods on display are fresh, disposes of items that are past-date, and prepares bulk orders for customers.
- Ensures that all food and products are consistently prepared and served according to the restaurant’s recipes, portioning, cooking and serving standards.
- Fills in where needed to ensure guest service standards and efficient operations.
- Prepares all required paperwork, including forms, reports and schedules in an organized and timely manner.
- Ensures that all equipment is kept clean and kept in excellent working condition through personal inspection and by following the restaurant’s preventative maintenance programs.
- Works with Chefs to plan and price menu items. Establish portion sizes and prepare standard recipe cards for all new menu items.
- Ensures that all products are ordered according to predetermined product specifications and received in correct unit count and condition and deliveries are performed in accordance with the restaurant’s receiving policies and procedures.
- Controls food cost and usage by following proper requisition of products from storage areas, product storage procedures, standard recipes and waste control procedures.
- Oversees and ensures that restaurant policies on employee performance appraisals are followed and completed on a timely basis.
- Schedules labour as required by anticipated business activity while ensuring that all positions are staffed when and as needed and labour cost objectives are met.
- Oversees the training of kitchen personnel in safe operation of all kitchen equipment and utensils
- Responsible for training kitchen personnel in cleanliness and sanitation practices.
- Responsible for maintaining appropriate cleaning schedules for kitchen floors, mats, walls, hoods, other equipment and food storage areas.
- Checks and maintains proper food holding and refrigeration temperature control points.
- Inspects gallery equipment, kitchen appliances, and work areas to ensure cleanliness and functional operation.
- Prepares budget for and administers the functions of the kitchen within approval budget.
- Prepares recommendations for job succession and career development programmes for timely and optimum staffing of the Department/Division.
- Ensures needed supplies and inventory levels to ensure that stock levels are maintained at the required standard.
- Performs quality checks on ingredients and finished products to ensure all standards are met.
- Follows the chef’s plans, and schedules the work of the team in accordance with set timeframes.
- Ensures that the company standards concerning food production, food presentation, food handling, controlling procedures and the kitchen sanitation and health program is maintained.
- Responds courteously to all customer questions and complaints and work hard to ensure that the customer feels satisfied after any interactions.
- Receives product deliveries, ensuring order and invoice accuracy in accordance with policy and procedure.
- Documents out of stock and waste items following departmental procedures, ensure department sanitation, cleanliness and safety standards are met.
- Executes other duties as assigned.
Internal: All Departments
External: Customers, Professional bodies, government authorities and regulatory bodies, suppliers/contractors and External Consultants.
- Associate degree in restaurant management or certification from culinary school is required.
- Valid Food Badge
- A minimum of (3) Three years’ experience in a similar role.
- Supermarket experience
Knowledge of: Kitchen health and Safety Regulations, Preparing food according to recipes, Quality Management, Culinary Management, Sanitation practices, Commercial Kitchen Tools and Equipment Handling
- Planning and organising
- Problem solving
- Business acumen
- Relationship management
- Communication (oral & written)
- Service Excellence
- Technical and Professional Skills
- Attention to detail, requires being careful and thorough about details, recognising the impact of decisions
- Results oriented, requires establishing and maintaining challenging achievement goals and exerting effort toward mastering tasks
- Ability to use applicable information technology and systems to meet work needs
- Ability to analyse and recommend improvements in the kitchen and menu, collect and interpret information, apply criteria, and make recommendations.
- Ability to communicate clearly with managers, kitchen and dining room personnel and guests
- This job operates in a professional kitchen environment. This role routinely uses commercial kitchen tools and equipment.
- Regularly exposed to hot and cold temperatures
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms; climb stairs; talk or hear.
- The employee must occasionally lift or move products and supplies, up to 50 pounds.