Prepares larger wholesale sections of meat and breaks them down into smaller portions or custom cuts which can be sold to customers. Breaks down meats, design signs and displays, and speaks to customers to answer questions and handle requests.
- Cuts, trims, bones, ties, and grinds meats, such as beef, pork, poultry, and fish, to prepare in cooking form.
- Prepares and places meat cuts and products in display counter in an attractive manner to catch the shopper’s eye.
- Wraps, weighs, labels, and prices cuts of meat in accordance with store policy and standards.
- Receives, inspects, and stores meat upon delivery to ensure excellent meat quality.
- Shapes, laces, and ties roasts, using boning knife, skewer, and twine safely and in accordance with quality standards.
- Estimates requirements and orders or requisitions meat supplies to maintain inventories.
- Records quantity of meat received and issued to cooks or keep records of meat sales.
- Maintains storage areas to maximize capacity, minimize product handling, and ensure product temperature requirements are met.
- Tracks inventory scrap due to spoilage and unmet quality standards. Prepares reports on same and submits in accordance with stipulated timeframes.
- Collaborates with Health and Safety department to identify and remedy safety concerns timely and proactively.
- Organizes bin storage areas to maximize capacity, minimize product handling, and ensure product temperature requirements are met.
- Sharpens and adjust knives and cutting equipment to ensure the effective and timely cutting of meats and other products.
- Executes any other related duties as assigned.
Internal: Sous Chef, Executive Chef, Kitchen Staff, Store and Restaurant Staff
External: Suppliers of meat and meat cutting tools and equipment
- Three (3) CXC Ordinary Level General Subjects
- Recognized Food Safety Certification.
- Food Badge
- A minimum of (3) experience.
- Experience in multi-temperature environment and managing perishable food. Customer service experience strongly preferred.
- Equipment experience including use hand tools and lift heavy items
Knowledge of: Meat preparation techniques and cuts. Food safety and sanitation controls, Food-borne pathogens
- Communication Skills (oral & written)
- Planning & organizing
- Time management
- Service Excellence
- Technical and Professional Skills
- Attention to detail, requires being careful and thorough about details, recognising the impact of decisions
- Ability to pay close attention to work activities to avoid injury and waste of product
- Results oriented, requires establishing and maintaining challenging achievement goals and exerting effort toward mastering tasks
- Ability to use applicable information technology and systems to meet work needs
- This job operates in a professional kitchen environment. This role routinely uses commercial cutting and kitchen equipment, knives and sharp tools.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; reach with hands and arms; climb stairs; talk or hear.
- The employee must occasionally lift or move products and supplies, up to 50 pounds.